The Jackie Robinson Foundation (JRF) seeks a Director of Communications to lead and provide strategic direction for the public relations efforts of JRF’s 49-year-old college scholarship program and for the new Jackie Robinson Museum (JRM) opening in June 2022 in New York City. Reporting to JRF’s president & CEO, the Director will work closely with the Development staff and Foundation leadership to fulfill JRF’s mission to advance the legacy of its namesake and the values embodied in his life story and that of JRF founder Rachel Robinson.
With excellent interpersonal and public relations skills, including strong writing and public speaking abilities, the ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with meticulous attention to detail, creativity and an ability to function in a fast-paced environment to drive interest in JRF and the Museum among existing stakeholders and prospective constituents.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a multi-channel, integrated communications and public relations strategy that is in line with organizational priorities and goals and increases awareness of and engagement with JRF and the Museum across all channels.
- Cultivate journalists, reporters, thought leaders, and other influencers across all media types, outlets and platforms, expanding coverage and promotion of JRF’s mission and work.
- Conduct research for and draft press releases, generating copy that presents well across both print and digital properties, including e-mail, websites and social media.
- Write and prepare content for the JRF and Museum websites, blogs, newsletters, annual reports, videos, and reports to the JRF board of directors, where appropriate in coordination with hired consultants.
- Manage production of all public-facing print and digital materials prepared by external design firms.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of JRF programs, policies, and strategies, including facts and figures.
- Arrange and coordinate press conferences and all interactions with media outlets including preparing press packets.
- Ensure that JRF’s style guide aligns with producing high-quality, error-free copy and collaterals.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders around content ideas consistent with program and fundraising strategies.
- Manage media inquiries, including arrange and prepare JRF constituents for media appearances.
- Maintain regular communication with media outlets relevant to JRF’s marketing strategy.
- Track and archive key press coverage of JRF and JRM.
- Track and maintain analytics of JRF communication efforts across both mainstream and social media.
- Develop a plan for and assist in the recruitment and hiring of additional communications and public relations staff, particularly staff required in connection with the opening of JRM.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in communications strategy development and public relations.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, with some public speaking experience.
- Extensive experience in copywriting, proofreading and editing of content for all media platforms.
- Strong problem solving, decision making, organizational and time-management skills, including prioritizing tasks effectively and managing deadlines.
- Proficiency with common database and word processing software, e.g., Microsoft products, Slate by Technolutions; experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Proficiency working with social media platforms, including managing content and engaging with online audiences.
- A significant roster of local, regional and national media contacts or demonstrable ability to cultivate same is strongly desired.
- A passion for and/or knowledge of professional sports is a big plus.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in working collaboratively, diplomatically, and effectively with many constituencies, including board members, donors, community leaders and government officials across diverse populations.
- Willingness to work a variable schedule, including weekends and evenings as needed.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with candidate’s experience and JRF/JRM policy.
The Jackie Robinson Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.